- Upper Class customers can now enjoy welcome drinks, a choice of three individually plated hot meals as well as more light bite options
- Premium customers receive a bespoke meal service including three hot meal choices
Virgin Atlantic is evolving its onboard service in Upper Class, providing even more choice for its customers. Following the restart of passenger flying in July 2020, the airline simplified its service onboard to minimise interaction between customers and crew. These latest changes see some of the most popular elements of Virgin Atlantic’s Upper Class service return, with some added extras, whilst ensuring health and safety remains at the heart of the proposition.
Customers are now offered a welcome drink upon boarding, followed by the choice of three individually plated hot meals as part of the main meal service. This is accompanied by a salad and choice of three desserts including cheese and biscuits. On day flights, customers are offered a second meal service including the signature Eric Lanlard Mile High Tea and can now opt for a deli dish or a lighter option if they prefer. For those travelling on night flights, there is a choice of three hot breakfasts as well as side dishes including fresh seasonal fruit, bircher muesli and pastries. All these options can be washed down with a selection of champagne, wine, liquors, soft drinks and teas and coffees.
Customers travelling in Premium now receive a bespoke meal service including a choice of three hot meals, cheese and biscuits and a dessert, all served on a tray. For the second meal service, Premium customers receive the Eric Lanlard Mile High Tea with a choice of prosecco or hot drink or on night flights, a breakfast including a warm pastry, seasonal fruit and yoghurt served with PG Tips tea or Change Please coffee.
Customers in the Economy cabin can choose from two hot meals as part of the Fly Safe, Fly Eat meal box, which also includes cheese and biscuits and a dessert. The second meal service includes the Eric Lanlard Mile High Tea on day flights or a breakfast consisting of a warm pastry, fruit and yoghurt on night flights. Customers in Premium and Economy can also choose from a selection of wines, beers, liquors and soft drinks throughout the flight.
All these changes are made in accordance with the airline’s comprehensive health and safety measures, implemented to offer peace of mind in the airport and when taking to the skies. These include enhanced and thorough cleaning practices at check in, boarding gates and onboard including the use of electrostatic spraying of high-grade disinfectant in all cabins and lavatories before every flight, ensuring no surface is left untouched. Safe distancing will also be adhered to wherever possible, and mask wearing will be required throughout the journey. All customers will be provided with a personal Health Pack for their health and safety, which will contain medical grade face masks to be worn onboard, surface wipes and hand gel.
Corneel Koster, Chief Customer and Operating Officer at Virgin Atlantic commented:
“We know our customers are missing that magical feeling you get when you step onboard an aircraft, ready to start your travels. Whilst customers may not be able to travel right now, we’re bringing back those little touches, including welcome drinks, hand plated food and more choice of meals, so that first flight after lockdown feels even more special.
“All these additions have been made whilst continuing to uphold some of the most comprehensive health and safety measures in the industry. We were delighted to be awarded Diamond Status by APEX Health Safety powered by SimpliFlying, for our efforts in ensuring the highest standards of cleanliness and sanitisation. Making sure everyone flies safe and well is a non-negotiable and has been an absolute priority for us since the start of the pandemic. Our commitment is underpinned by robust cleaning measures both in the air and on the ground, our innovative customer experience, the introduction of Covid-19 insurance and the fact that we test our crews before every departure from the UK and our ground teams at least once a week.”
New Upper Class menu:
1. Welcome drinks upon boarding
2. Drinks and snacks after takeoff
3. Main meal
- Mozzarella and tomato salad with micro basil and cress (v)
- Ciabatta roll with butter
- Roasted chicken breast, potato purée, sautéed spinach, girolles mushrooms, Bourguignon sauce
- Artichoke tortellini (v) with wilted spinach, grilled artichokes and sage butter sauce
- Roasted salmon fillet, lemon and spring onion giant couscous, grilled baby courgettes and chervil sauce
- Coconut lemon tartlet
- Seasonal fresh fruit
- Cheddar, Brie, and Stilton with crackers
4. Second meal service
Eric Lanlard Mile High Tea
- West country cheddar and carrot chutney on malted roll and Mediterranean falafel wrap
- Scone with clotted cream and strawberry jam
- Raspberry glazed éclair, salted caramel vanilla tart and cherry macaron
- Chicken terrine, spiced cauliflower and braised pineapple
- Chocolate gateau
- Asian-style glass noodle salad, seaweed and charred pineapple
- Fresh fruit salad
- Full breakfast including chicken sausage, turkey rashers, scrambled eggs, baked beans, herb potatoes, roasted tomato and mushrooms
- Vegetarian cooked Breakfast including cheddar cheese omelette, mushroom, hash brown and vine roasted cherry tomatoes
- Mini apple pancakes with creme anglaise and apple cinnamon compote